Aluminum stearate is a white, wax-like powder (metallic soap) that dissolves in mineral spirits or hot oil.
It is insoluble in water, alcohol and ether. However, it is soluble in glycol, alkali, BTX, chlorinated hyrdocarbons. It dissolves well in vegetable oils on heating and if high concentration is used, on cooling gelling is seen.
Aluminum stearate is made via the precipitation process using high quality stearic acid and exhibits the following properties: Good gelling and thickening action, excellent water repellency, transparency and a synergistic effect with zinc stearate or calcium stearate.
Aluminium Stearate is used as an emulsifier in cosmetics. It is also used as lubricant in polyamides and in thermosetting of plastics. Its use as a water repellent agent and hydrophobic agent makes it useful to be used as a waterproofing agent in paint industry. Aluminium stearate is used as thickening agent in production of varnishes and lacquers. It also finds use as an anti-caking agent in petroleum products.
- Anti-setteling agent in Interior or Enamel Paints.
- Binder in Exterior Paints.
- Water proofing agent for Tarpaulin.
- Lubricating gel in Grease, Lubricants & Polish
- Anti-foaming agent in mud chemicals in Oil Drilling Exploration.
- Anti fungal agent and lubricant in Shaving Cream and Cosmetics.
- Anti settling agent and binder in Printing Ink.
- Binding agent in Pesticides.
|Chemical Formula||Al (C17H35COO)3|
|Moisture, %||1.0 Max.|
|Particle Size||-200 Mesh|
|Purity (as Al2O3, %)||15|
|Free Fatty Acid, %||2.0 Max.|
|Packing||Polylined HDPE bags of 25 Kgs. Nett.|